Monday, January 18, 2010

Catching Up on Me

On this Martin Luther King, Jr. day I start with "I have a dream." My dream takes me to Alabama, Myrtle Beach and perhaps even Clearwater. If you have not read much on him yet, I encourage you to read about Dr. King and get some insight on his courage to press on with his leadership in the face of bullets, arrest and fire bombs thrown into his living room while his children slept upstairs. Weight loss, triathlon goals are small potatoes by comparison but lessons can be learned in his heart and leadership. Dr. King was amazing. I suppose that is redundant to say, but I'll say it again. Amazing.

I saw a comedian Steve Byrne (Korean, Irish parents and 100% American.) Steve tells a joke which is more like a story. He talks about America versus other countries dividing up our people. You don't hear about African-Canadians, Indian-Brits, or Italian-Argentinians. All those ethnic groups exist but in their country they are simply Canadians, Brits or Argentinians. In a country that speaks of being united, why then do the people consider themselves their ethnicity? Interesting. For us, it comes from when we got here. Italians "weren't wanted" when we landed on Ellis Island long ago. Czechs claimed to be Pols and vic versa. Perhaps the immigrant growth of our country is a large part of this. These are the things I think about on three hour aerobic trainer rides. Why can't we just be Americans?

It's been a while since I've been training consistently myself. I've been in perpetual rehab it seems. Since I'm back to health just re-establishing a routine has been difficult. I'm into a good routine now. Weight loss has picked up. I gained another belt loop last week and my pants are starting to get annoying as they are moving all around on me.

Swimming has a long way to go, but I'm so happy to be back in the water. I'm swimming with a group I used to long ago and the guys and gals in the group are pretty cool.

Cycling has been solid but I'm taking more steps to improve even more. I'm riding at a level I finished at last spring. Not sure if that is good or bad yet.

Running has been significantly better but let's not have a parade just yet.

Time to knuckle down. February is just over the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment