Thursday, April 29, 2010

Results Don't Always Mean Success

"2 is not equal to 3 - not even for very large values of 2." - Grabel's Law

If you are a regular reader of this blog you know that the last few years have been tough around here. I'm not complaining. It's just a fact. It doesn't matter how many times I get knocked down, it only matters that I get off the canvas and keep fighting.

This winter and spring have had very good training numbers, but let's not confuse these numbers with success. Success, by my definition, will be "being competitive in my age group at the International distance of triathlon". In order to do that several things need to happen (in no particular order):

1) Consistent training: every day
1a) Training with power on the bike
2) Weight training for explosive movements*
3) Core training
4) Eating correctly
5) Recovery from workouts (I'm not 30 anymore.)
6) Life balance

This winter I did training consistently - in cycling and running, with power, with core training, life balance, and recovery. Not bad. Not great. Average, and average in this house is failing. Don't confuse activity with results or minor results with success.

As I plan the next steps in life, work and triathlon I search for my best possible results. My best. Not yours. Not his. Not hers. Mine. The meanest things written in comments to me on this blog (which normally don't get published) are a far cry from my own criticism of my self.

St. Anthony's Triathlon for me showed me a few things about my racing and preparation. It also taught me a bit about age and how to prepare myself for what lays ahead of me this season. Sometimes you think you're doing everything you can do to prepare, but you aren't. So while I had great progress in the winter, it was a false hope. I needed to do more.

The legendary Coach John Wooden taught me a few things at a seminar I took on coaching. Below is his famous success pyramid.
This is incredibly important as we all take on challenges in life. Intentness and Alertness are two which come to mind. I need to stay most of my course with some changes. I need to be alert to things which derail me from my progress from goals. Same goes for my clients. I need to make sure they stay on course as well as are mindful of distractions to their goals. Things like "Iron fever" or racing every month/week take away from where the goal is taking them.

The largest disappointment from Sunday sits a top this pyramid; I never competed. I backed off because I think I wasn't confident in my run. Maybe that was smart.

I'll tell you one thing for sure; it was embarrassing.

"After you finish the first 90% of a project, you have to finish the other 90%."

- Michael Abrash


1 comment:

  1. We learn a lot from the races we think we don't do well at....you learned a lot and you know what to take away from St As! :)

    ReplyDelete