Monday, August 23, 2010

Retul-ed at Wheel Werks in Crystal Lake, IL

A few Sunday's ago I got my first professional bike fit in years. I know - not what a serious racer does. Let's face it... since 2006, I haven't been a serious racer. It's ok. Life has been grand. You have to get away from the sport you love in order to learn and understand it more. Injuries are finally healed (although, some issues remain) it's the cost of racing into your 40s. Family is balanced - if not healthy. (Dad is fighting yet another cancer.)

My "home" bike shop has been (and still is) Village CycleSport in Elk Grove, Barrington and Arlington Heights. The owners are great and I am still very much a part of the Village family. I wanted to get Retuled for the last 3+ years. Village isn't a Retul shop. Additionally, the owner of Wheel Werks is Bob. Bob was the mechanic for the great Lon Haldeman.

Follow this link.

Bob's shop is on Main Street in Crystal Lake (right by the train station). http://www.wheelwerksbikes.com/

The Retul process (combined with Bob's years of experience and keen eye) made this a fast process (relative to perfect cycling fits). We managed to fit two bikes (road and time trial) in just over three hours. The fit made a difference of 15 watts at LT. An FTP of 250 is magically 265! (Now to work on the power to weight ratio.)

I highly endorse Bob and Wheel Werks. He did a fantastic job. I'll be back to have him tweak the position as I improve my fitness. Here is a shot of me in the shot and one in action for Team Marathon.



No comments:

Post a Comment