Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Some Effort May be Required

Sunday the Chicago Bulls swept the Miami Heat in their regular season series.  The same Miami team that had a championship like celebration when LeBron James signed with the team before the "big three" even had a practice together.  I guess they didn't think about the fact that the rest of their team is below average and there is only one ball.  Additionally, "King James" has a chink in his armor - he has repeatedly shown that he is mentally weak and is still learning some basketball basics in spite of being an eight year NBA veteran.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Perhaps someone should tell the "king" he has no clothes on.  Pounding on the Miami Heat is low hanging fruit.  I'll just enjoy the Bulls success thus far and the Miami struggle.  I don't like people who want everything given to them - LeBron's athletic track record in my opinion.


Applied to all sports, you need to try.  I'm a big fan of work ethic.


The greatest coach I've ever been fortunate enough to work with didn't care how talented you were.  He wanted your best effort.  Give him your best every day and regardless of your final results - you were a champion in his eyes.  Funny...  how those teams always seemed to do really well (read: won three straight state championships).  

Effort is required to be at the top of any sport.  Greg LeMond said it best, "It never gets easier, you just get faster."  Very true.

Today was the first "real" track workout of the year.  As I sit here typing, I'm still wheezing, coughing and I'm just waiting for a killer leg cramp.  I was dry heaving at the track.  Hard days are really hard.  This is the price of improved running and mental toughness.

Not crying in a locker room.

No comments:

Post a Comment