Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Should you Train if you're Sick?


What do you do when this happens?  Train anyway or not?  This is where I am.  I'm four weeks out of a big race and I have last week's training volume of an off season rookie.  Headache, fever, stuffy nose, tired, chest congestion - it sucks.  On the positive side... most people who have had this ended up in the hospital with pneumonia.  So far, so good - I'm at home.  I haven't been sick for a long time.  Now I feel like this dog below.
Generally, here's what I do and advise.  If the illness is in the head and not chest - keep the workout under one hour and keep it pretty easy to aerobic pace (max).

If the illness is in the chest - go home and rest.  You know the drill from here.  Fluids. Chicken soup.  Hot bath.  Woolie pjs.  A shot of liquor or perhaps some Nyquil.  Whatever you do to shake illnesses or whatever your doctor says.

When do you go back to a "normal" schedule?  (Normal for triathletes...) I watch my am resting heart rate.  When it is within 10 bpm (beats per minute) - I get back on schedule.  I'll admit to sandbagging those first one or two workout sessions though.  Just get moving again.

(Hope to) See you in the pool or on the road soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment