Thursday, May 12, 2011

Grateful for the Chance

Didn't want to have to deal with this today... but, I am being forced to make important career decisions; just what you want going into a race.  While there are taper checklist items to be checked - I have to choose a direction.  NOW.  One decision I could make is to not make a decision at all.  Then I'd be like many executives in Chicago and would be allowing the market decide what I'd have to do.  That's not me.

So... in summary - I'm grateful for the chance to be here; on the cusp of major career path decisions and racing.  On to race "stuff"... (it's a triathlon blog after all).

My swimming is the strongest it has been since 2004.  (That right there is a statement.)  It is not what I would call "good", but for a M40-44 triathlete it is good.  Cycling is what it is - all base.  Power is there - we'll see how long I can sustain it.  I am finally fit enough to turn the 56x11 for an extended effort without blowing up.  Running - better.  I'm "trail ready".  I've run on nothing but "trail" and grass since March.  While I'm not sure how fast I can be - my goal isn't to be "fast".  It's much more simple.  The goal is to "just run"- big thanks to my running coach Janet for keeping it simple.  This is the plan for the entire race - take "just" and tack on "(swim/bike/run)".  Don't over think it.

I don't give a shit if I'm dead last.  All the other people will be in my race against my last three years of being a pile of goo.  If I make my goal versus the clock - this race will be a success.  That goal should be achievable.

I'm grateful for the chance to do this race for the seventh year.

2 comments:

  1. Bob, I'm no cycling coach like you are, but what the hell are you doing riding a 56 x 11? Why not the standard 53 that 99% of other folks ride? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I'm on 650c wheels.

    2) I have very strong legs and 53x11 isn't big enough

    ReplyDelete