Friday, August 23, 2013

Is a Championship a "Championship" without Drug Testing in this Era?

A client of mine called me and posed a question to me.  Is a championship race really a championship without drug testing or is this kinda like the "all drug Olympics" SNL skit?



Mark McGuire before and after.

It was a good question.  Unfortunately, I think there are a lot of drugs in our sport.  Simply because most races don't test.  I would like to see a qualify and test type of program. 

1) If you the event is a qualifier - FOR ANYTHING - and you earn a slot - you get drug tested.  YOU as the qualifier, pays the fee to prove you are clean.  This adds approximately $185 to whatever you qualified for if the prices I read about are accurate, but possibly lower.

2) At the event you qualified for, ALL registered athletes are subject to random drug tests - this would be paid for by the governing body holding the "championship".

3) ALL podium/prime award winners get drug tested. Paid for by the governing body holding the race.

4) ALL athletes who qualified for that race are now part of an out-of-season test program where you can be tested at any time until March 1 of the following year.

That's roughly how I'd do it.

After talking a bit, I said, "No, a championship is NOT a "true" championship unless there is extensive drug testing."

No comments:

Post a Comment